Here’s the latest news in Australian musical theatre in our weekly wrap
NEW SOUTH WALES
Hayes Theatre: You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Sydney Lyric: Singin’ in the Rain
State Theatre: Cinderella
QPAC Lyric Theatre: We Will Rock You
Chapel off Chapel: Titanic
The Princess Theatre: Matilda
The Regent Theatre: The Sound of Music
Crown Theatre: Georgy Girl
WHAT’S HAPPENING AROUND AUSTRALIAN THEATRES?
Full cast announced for Calamity Jane
The full cast of Calamity Jane was announced this week, joining Virginia Gay (Jerry’s Girls, Winners and Losers) as Calamity Jane will be Hilary Cole, Sheridan Harbridge, Tamlyn Henderson, Sam Moran, Rob Johnson and Laurence Coy. The ensemble is made up of Jai Higgs, Michael Hart, Lachlan Martin and Romy Watson. Showing at the Hayes Theatre from August 3rd to 7th. For further information and tickets go to: http://www.hayestheatre.com.au/coming-soon/calamity-jane.html
Behind the Front
On Tuesday, July 19th the Adelaide Festival Centre is holding a one night only event. Local composer Lane Hinchcliffe brings together a team of artists to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Fromelles.
The Battle of Fromelles took place on July 19th- 20th, 1916. It was the first battle fought by Australian troops on the Western Front. By 8:00am on July 20th, 1916- 5,533 Australians lay dead on the French battlefields.
The Helpmann Awards will be televised on Foxtel Arts from 7:30pm. The hosts for the evening are Chloë Dallimore (Equity President, Annie, The Producers), Helen Dallimore (WICKED), Stuart Maunder AM, Guy Noble, Simon Phillips, The Umbilical Brothers and Queenie van de Zandt as “Jan Van De Stool”.
The high-profile line-up of Presenters include:
Kellie Dickerson, Tim Draxl, Marta Dusseldorp, Tim Finn, Antoinette Halloran, Noni Hazlehurst, Erika Heynatz, Celia Ireland, Tim Minchin, Hunter Page-Lochard, Katrina Milosevic, Milijana Nikolic, Eddie Perfect, Aurélien Scannella, The Hon Jillian Skinner MP and Toby Thatcher.
Entertainment will be provided by:
– Singin’ in the Rain – “Overture” and “Good Mornin'” starring Grant Almirall, Gretel Scarlett and Jack Chambers; and “Singin’ in the Rain” full cast finale
– Sarah Blasko – “Luxurious”
– Sydney International Piano Competition – 1st prize winner
– Matilda the Musical – “Quiet” starring all eight Matildas from the Sydney and Melbourne seasons
– Marina Prior and Mark Vincent – “Time to Say Goodbye”
– West Australian Ballet – “On The Nature of Daylight” pas de deux starring Sandy Delasalle and Matthew Lehmann
– Ladies in Black – “Ladies in Black” starring Lucy Maunder, Kate Cole, Kathryn McIntyre, Deidre Rubenstein, Carita Farrer Spencer, Sarah Morrison and Naomi Price
– The Sound of Music – “Do-Re-Mi” starring Amy Lehpamer, Stefanie Jones and the Von Trapp children (Jude Paddon- Row, Savannah Clarke, Samson Hyland, Maddison Russo, Isabel Young and Harriet Turnball) and “Climb Ev’ry Mountain” starring Jacqui Dark
Helen Dallimore, Lucy Durack, Amanda Harrison and Jemma Rix with guests, Ben Lewis and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra performed last night at The Sydney Opera House and will perform their second show at 2pm today.
Aladdin (Capitol Theatre, Sydney) Avenue Q (Her Majesty’s Theatre, Melbourne) and Funny Girl (Arts Centre, Melbourne) are currently rehearsing ahead of their upcoming performances.
NEW SOUTH WALES
Roslyn Packer Theatre: Little Shop of Horrors (opens July 20th)
State Theatre: Funny Girl (opens July 23rd for 10 shows only)
NEW SOUTH WALES
State Theatre: Cinderella (closes July 17th)
Hayes Theatre: You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown (closes July 30th)
Chapel off Chapel: Titanic (closes July 24th)
The Regent Theatre: The Sound of Music (closes July 31st)
Crown Theatre: Georgy Girl (closes July 31st)
AUSTRALIAN PERFORMER SPECIAL MENTIONS
David Campbell- National Anthem at State of Origin III
On Wednesday, July 13th Dream Lover’s David Campbell sung the national anthem at the third state of origin match played at ANZ stadium in Sydney, NSW.