Moulin Rouge! The Musical nominated for 14 Tony Awards including Best Musical.
FIRST AUSTRALIAN-PRODUCED MUSICAL TO ORIGINATE ON BROADWAY – COMING TO MELBOURNE MID 2021
In a landmark moment for Australian theatrical producers Global Creatures, Moulin Rouge! The Musical has been nominated for an astounding 14 Tony Awards which were announced overnight in New York. Based on Baz Luhrmann’s 2001 Australian film, Moulin Rouge! The Musical is the first Australian-produced musical to originate on Broadway.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical received 14 nominations across 13 categories:
• Best Musical
• Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
• Best Book of a Musical – John Logan
• Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
• Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
• Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical – Karen Olivo
• Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
• Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical – Robyn Hurder
• Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein, Sahr Ngaujah
• Best Scenic Design in a Musical – Derek McLane
• Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
• Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
• Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is the fourth musical production by Global Creatures, which was founded by Gerry Ryan OAM and Carmen Pavlovic in 2007. Previous works include King Kong, Strictly Ballroom The Musical and Muriel’s Wedding The Musical. The ‘red windmill’ will arrive at Melbourne’s Regent Theatre and London’s Piccadilly Theatre in 2021.
“This year’s Tony Award nominees share the most unusual of bonds. At such a difficult time for so many people, including the thousands who make up the industry behind the scenes, we welcome this opportunity to celebrate the remarkable achievements of Broadway’s finest artists.” said Carmen Pavlovic, CEO of Global Creatures and Producer of Moulin Rouge! The Musical.