Directed by Renée Maloney
Musically Directed by Ben Heels
Assistant Choreographer: Chase Young
Lighting Designer: Yaz Sesta
Sound Designer: Peter Philp
Stage Manager: Warren Dodd
- Please prepare two contrasting contemporary songs showcasing your vocal range.
- Songs should be in the style of the show but not from the show. Please be aware that due to time being very limited, you may not complete your song, so choose an appropriate starting point.
- Sheet music to be provided in the correct key. Backing tracks and Acapella not allowed. However, you may choose to accompany yourself.
- A headshot must be provided at the audition
- Arrive early to prepare. Please be patient in case we are running behind and have your music ready in a folder so you can go through your song with the audition pianist before you enter the room.
- Part of the audition may require a vocal range test and a dialogue read (these will be available at the audition venue)
- Call Backs will be for voice and dialogue and will be held in the room as a workshop with all the other callbacks for that role.
Audition Venue: Phoenix HQ – 109 Leeds Street, East Doncaster
Dance Audition Friday 24th January at 7pm
Callbacks (if required): Friday 24th January at 8pm
Rehearsal Info: First Rehearsal – Thursday 30th January
All ages are approximate and based on look, not actual age.
Male. Age: Early 20s.
A young misfit looking for meaning in a highly regulated world. Needs to be charismatic, charming, (a sense of comedy) and have a very strong rock tenor voice up to a full voice sustained high B. Falsetto up to a D above High B is also required.
Female. Age: late teens/early 20s.
She is also a young misfit, with a sharp wit who keeps Galileo on his toes. Eventually they fall for each other. Vocally, a strong rock mezzo belt voice is required.
Female. Age: late 20s – 40s.
She is a ruthless business woman, powerful, tough and glamorous with a strong stage presence. She has sass and controls every situation around her. A dynamic, strong character. Vocally, a very powerful, strong mezzo belt with the capacity and vocal stamina for a hard rock edge is required.
Male. Age: 30 upwards.
Khashoggi works for the Killer Queen. He is the embodiment of a future techno corporate stooge. High Baritone or Tenor.
Male. Age: late teens to 30s.
“Brit” is short for Britney Spears, which is ironic as Brit is the antithesis of Britney’s form of pop. Brit of one of the Bohemian rebels who believe that there is a true musical style that can conquer the corporate ga-ga sound. High Baritone or Tenor with a rock edge.
Female. Age: late teens to 30s.
“Oz” is short for Ozzy (Osbourne), also ironic. Oz, like Brit, is a Bohemian rebel, waiting for the return of rock music. A strong Mezzo belt voice is required.
Male. Age: middle aged to elderly ex- rocker.
Buddy is an old librarian with a passion for the old sacred texts (forgotten rock lyrics). He is the comic character that acts as a foil to the journey taken by Galileo and Scaramouche. High Baritone or Tenor.
The ensemble is a critical part of the show and play various cameo roles throughout. There will be a mix of very strong dancers, strong rock/theatre singer-movers and character ensemble parts amongst the Bohemian rebels. Much of the story is told through the atmosphere and locations set by the ensemble’s movement, so the ability to be a risk-taking, creative, receptive and flexible group member is critical.
The ensemble will be required to play multiple characters which include:
● Ga-Ga Kids / Teen Queens: Living in a highly modified, prescribed soulless consumer world
● Rebels: Outcasts driven by an underground fight against GlobalSoft and its leader Killer Queen
● Secret Police: Faceless, soulless stooges that work to the bidding of Killer Queen and Khashoggi
● Super Yuppies, Doctors, Youth of the Future, Teacher