Organising an Audition:
- Sunday 12 Aug. from 2pm and Monday 13 Aug. from 7pm in Malvern East
- All auditions are by appointment only.
- To express your interest in auditioning please forward a short CV and headshot by email [email protected] to one of the Co-Directors, Andrew Ferguson, no later than Friday 3 August, together with information about the role(s) for which you would like to be considered (see below for further information).
Please note that at the audition you will be required to:
- deliver lines (scripts will be provided)
- sing at least one of the audition numbers stipulated for the role(s), as detailed below (preferably from memory).
- Commence Tuesday 28 August
- Routine rehearsals will be 7.30–10pm Tuesday and Thursday evenings and 1:30–5pm Sundays. Please note, though, that there is a special music rehearsal on Sunday 2 September 6-9pm, to listen to voice combinations before final casting.
Performance Dates: 26 Oct-10 Nov 2018 (refer Malvern website for full details: www.malverntheatre.com.au)
NOTE: Actors must commit unconditionally to the entire performance season and all scheduled rehearsals at which their attendance is required.
For a copy of the Script, contact the Director via email [email protected].
Brief background and summary:
The play is set in the second half of the 19th Century. Upper-class English accents (RP) are required for Gilbert, Sullivan, Grossmith and D’Oyly Carte. The other characters could have regional English accents.
Please note that a small ensemble of versatile actor/singers will be cast to act in multiple roles (mainly singing and dancing/moving chorus), in addition to these named characters:
- S. Gilbert – a cantankerous gentleman, author and somewhat reluctant lyricist/playwright; bass/baritone; age 40-late 50s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: TRIAL – When I, good friends, was called to the bar; PATIENCE – Am I alone and unobserved? .. If you’re anxious to shine; MIKADO – My object all sublime
Sir Arthur Sullivan – a gentleman who becomes used to an indulgent lifestyle but whose health suffers later in life, composer; high baritone; age 40-late 50s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PIRATES – When the foeman bares his steel; MIKADO – Tit Willow; GONDOLIERS – Take a pair of sparkling eyes
George Grossmith – originally a common actor, later specialising in, and creating original interpretations of G&S comic roles; baritone; age 40-late 50s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PIRATES – I am the very model of a modern Major-General; IOLANTHE – Nightmare song
Richard D’Oyly Carte – a theatrical impresario, somewhat exploitative of the relationship between Gilbert and Sullivan; high baritone; age 40-late 50s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PINAFORE – I am the captain of the Pinafore; RUDDIGORE – The Ghost’s High Noon
Joe – a stage hand; lyric tenor/high baritone; age mid 20s-late 30s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PIRATES – Pirate King (Oh, better far to live and die); MIKADO – A wandering minstrel I & Here’s a howdedo
Geraldine Almar – featured chorus member; soprano; age mid 20s-late 30s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: IOLANTHE – Up in the sky, ever so high; MIKADO – Three little maids
Jessie Bond – featured chorus member; contralto/mezzo-soprano; age mid 20s-late 30s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PIRATES – Go ye heroes, go to glory; MIKADO – Three little maids
Sybil Grey – featured chorus member; soprano; age mid 20s-late 30s; REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS: PIRATES – Poor wandering one; YEOMAN – The Yeoman song; MIKADO – Three little maids