uditions for SILAS MARNER
Presented by The Midnite Youth Theatre Company in Season 2019.
SILAS MARNER is a musical adaption of the George Eliot novel of the trials and tribulations of a miserly weaver, set amidst the stirrings of the Industrial Revolution. This new musical by John Taylor will make its world premiere in March 2019.
Auditions to be a part of the original cast production will take place on the Sunday 9th and Monday 10th December 2018.
John Taylor is an Olivier Award winning and Tony nominated composer and lyricist with an extensive career in musical theatre. Charlie Girl (1965) – composer, lyricist with David Heneker, West End, Doddy’s Here, West End (1965) Mr. & Mrs (1968)- Book, lyrics and music, (West End). The Water Babies (1973) – Book, lyrics and music, adapted from Charles Kingsley’s book, West End. The Royalty Follies (1974) – composer, lyricist, West End. Taylor continued to write songs for comedies, full length musicals and revues throughout the 1960s and 70s. In 1979 Taylor worked for Richard Rogers and William Hammerstein for the London revival of The King and I starring Yul Brynner and Virginia McKenna and further revivials of The Sound of Music at the Apollo Victoria in 1981 starring Petula Clark. In 1982 Taylor retired to Southern California and continued composing music and writing lyrics and libretti.
Evening Performances at 7.30pm – March 13, 14, 15, 16
Matinee Performances at 2.00pm – March 16
- Please register for your interest by emailing us at [email protected] with a preferred time/date
- Prepare a pre 1960s musical theatre song – ballad or up tempo that shows your range, type and vocal stamina. Pieces should also display performance and acting ability.
- Bring sheet music in the key in which you wish to sing. Please make sure the music pages are bound or stuck together.
- You may be asked to read an extract of dialogue from the show. These extracts will be available for you to look at before you go in to the audition. All characters require a regional English accent, but this will be refined during rehearsals, so do not get too concerned and just do the best you can at the audition.
- Arrive early enough to talk through your song with the audition pianist and look over script readings.
- Be available for Call Backs on Wednesday December 12 (evening). You will be advised on Tuesday night if you are required for Call Backs and at what time.
- Everyone who auditions will receive either a phone call or an email sometime on Friday December 14. Please note that casting is not absolutely final until after the Call Backs.
- Age for auditionees: 18 to 25. Rehearsals are on Sunday afternoon (1pm-5pm), Wednesday and Thursday evenings (7pm‑9.30pm). Some all day rehearsals may be called over the Summer Holidays.
Note following dates (2019):
Venue & Performance Dates (2019): Venue – Drama Centre, Christ Church Grammar School
- Sun Mar 10 Tech run/cast/crew/piano
- Mon Mar 11 Full Dress1
- Tues Mar 12 Full Dress 2 (Preveiw)
- Wed Mar 13 Show 7.30pm (Opening)
- Thur Mar 14 Show 7.30pm
- Fri Mar 15 Show 7.30pm
- Sat May 16 Show 2pm (Matinee)
- Sat Mar 16 Show 7.30pm