Updated Monday 16th March 9am
The Prime Minister has advised that all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people should be suspended from today amid fears about the spread of COVID-19. Following this announcement, some theatre companies have announced their shows have either been cancelled or postponed until a later, yet to be confirmed, date. Other production companies have advised their shows will go ahead this weekend and will then review the situation on Monday.
Here’s a summary of some of the updates.
Shows awaiting confirmation:
– Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Princess Theatre Melbourne)
– Shrek the Musical (Her Majesty’s Theatre Melbourne)
– Q44 theatre (Melbourne)
– Alex Theatre St Kilda (Melbourne)
– MTC (Melbourne)
– Red Stitch (Melbourne)
– Malthouse (Melbourne)
– Bridges of Madison County (Hayes Theatre Sydney)
– War Horse (Sydney)
– Our Blood Runs in the Street (Old Fitz Theatre, Sydney) will run as scheduled until 21 March
– Black Swan Theatre Company (Perth)
– Into the woods at Savoyards in Wynnum (Brisbane)
– Mamma Mia! (Rockhampton)
Decisions regarding future performances will be made on Monday.
Upcoming shows going ahead:
– Theatre Works (St Kilda, Melbourne): Voldemort and the Teenage Hogwarts, Jungle Bungle and Singing Swallows
Yet to be confirmed:
– Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Lyric Theatre QPAC, Brisbane)
– War Horse (Perth)
– Chess (Newcastle)
– VOCA People (tour)
– Tim Minchin (tour)
– Wellbless (Theatreworks, Melbourne)
– Cirque Du Soleil Kurios (Melbourne) postponed until 15 April, 2020
– West Side Story (Centrestage Geelong) postponed until July/August
– IS GOD IS (Old Fitz Theatre, Sydney)
Cancelled shows or events:
– Melbourne International Comedy Festival (MICF)
– All events at QPAC from today through to Sunday 15th March
– Mamma Mia! (Rockhampton) have cancelled performances from 19th March to Saturday 21st March
– Cirque Du Soleil Kurios has cancelled all performances until April 15th 2020
– Come From Away but will return for an encore season in February 2021.
– VIVID Sydney
– Billy Elliot the Musical (Regent Theatre Melbourne)
– All events at Arts Centre Melbourne through to April 12
– All events at Melbourne Recital Centre for 4 weeks
We will add to this list as more news becomes available.
If a show is going ahead, please support the industry.
For those companies postponing their events, please buy a ticket when the event is rescheduled.
And when this COVID-19 pandemic settles down, please go back to the theatre with your friends.
Update from Ticketek Australia:
COVID-19 update to fans. In the wake of the Federal Government’s Advice that organised non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people should be suspended from Monday 16 March, our first priority is to make sure you are properly notified and informed if an event is postponed or cancelled.
If your event has been postponed or cancelled, you don’t need to do anything. You will be contacted via email with the relevant details and the full refund process. More information can be found here: bit.ly/TicketekHelp